Hearthstone 1 (HI) Glass Replacement
This model was built between 1978 and 1988 and should look like the in the above pictures.
1 Ceramic Glass 6” x 12”
3 Feet: 3/4 “ Flat Tape Gasket
1. To replace the glass you will need to first remove the affected front door(s). To remove them, open the front doors and tap out the hinge pins. To accomplish this, use the hammer and 3/16” punch and tap the hinge pins up from the bottom of each hinge tab on the doorframes. Lay the detached door(s) face down on a protected surface (i.e. cardboard on a workbench).
2. Prepare the screws holding the glass retention bars in place by applying penetrating oil to them and allowing them to set for a few minutes.
Note: Before handling the damaged glass, be sure to put on your work gloves and safety glasses.
3. To replace the glass, remove the screws holding the glass retention bars in place with the 5/16” wrench. Note the placement of each of the bolts – occasionally oversized bolts were used in the assembly of the stove. After the retention bars are removed, carefully lift out the damaged glass and discard it. 4. Prepare the new glass. Pull the paper backing off the new flat gasket (a little at a time works best). The adhesive side is applied to the glass overlapping each side of the glass.
Continue around the glass until the entire glass is wrapped with the tape. Cut off any excess.
5. Place the glass panels back into the doors. Lay the retention straps back into place and secure with the screws.
6. Place the doors back onto the stove and tap the hinge pins back into place.