Hearthstone Heritage Front, Side or Ashpan Door Latch Kit
For use on the below models:
- Heritage 8022 Wood Stove
- Heritage 8023 Wood Stove
INCLUDED IN KIT:
- (1) 4500-2976 - Set Screw
- (4) 4700-0790 - Brass Spacer
- (1) 5010-081 - Chrome Crank
- (1) 5021-026 - Latch
- (1) 5021-032 - Flat Washer
- (1) 5240-138 - Tension Spring
(1) Using the screwdriver turn out the screw that holds the wooden handle to the latch assembly. Keep the wooden handle with the screw to install on the replacement latch.
(2) Locate the set screw on the outer surface of the chrome crank. Using the 5/32” allen wrench, completely turn out the setscrew holding the original latch to the outer chrome crank. While holding the latch with the pliers, rotate the outer chrome crank until it disengages from the threaded portion of the latch.
(3) Separate the latch and crank. Discard all of the original latch components (except for the wooden handle that will be reused).
(4) Place two of the brass washers onto the latch shaft. Keep the other two for possible adjustment needs.
(5) Push the latch shaft through the door. Place the large black washer onto the latch on the outside of the door. It will be flush to the surface of the outer door. Place the tension spring over the latch on the outside.
(6) Thread the chrome crank onto the latch shaft. Continue to turn until it is flush to the surface of the door. Now turn it back until it is approximately 1/8” from the surface of the door.
(7) Turn the chrome crank until you can see the grooved out notch in the edge of the latch shaft (a flashlight may be helpful here). Once the two pieces are lined up in this manner, turn in the new setscrew. Use the allen wrench to tighten the setscrew into the grooved notch in the latch.
8) Using the slotted screwdriver, attach the original wooden handle onto the new latch assembly. Note: If the latch requires adjustment, you will need to separate it again. To draw it tighter, remove a shim washer from the inside; to loosen the latch, add a washer to the latch shaft.