Hearthstone H1 (8100 Wood Stove) Damper Retrofit Kit
No Longer Available
This part is used on both models of H1 built between 1978 and 1998
Damper (Rod and Blade) (Damper Blade 17 3/4" x 4 3/4", Rod 27" x 3/8")
Before You Begin: Make sure the fire is out and the stove is cool to the touch.
Refer to the diagram as needed to verify the placement of any of the damper components.
1. Using the appropriate wrenches, loosen the nut and coupling sleeve on the outside of the damper assembly. Remove the handle assembly including the nut and coupling sleeve. Save these pieces for reassembly.
2. Pull the damper rod into the firebox until it clears the bushing assembly. You can now maneuver the damper rod and plate assembly out through the stove door. It can now be discarded.
3. Place the washer onto the end of the new damper that has a hole drilled in it. Push the cotter pin through the hole in the damper rod and twist the ends of the pin to hold it in place.
4. Place the new damper into the stove, making sure the cotter pin and washer are on the right hand side. Allow the right end of the damper to seat into the notch welded onto the door steel – the washer and cotter key should be to the right of this notch. Important: When installing the damper make sure the blade is straight up and above the front lip of the baffle. Push the other end of the damper (this end will have threads on it) through the brass stone bushing as far as it will go (until the washer and cotter pin are flush to the notch). The threaded end of the damper will now be visible outside the stove.
5. Assemble the damper handle. Turn the coupling sleeve onto the damper rod – finger tight. Twist the coil handle onto the non-threaded end of the handle extension. Turn the 3/8” nut onto the threaded end of the handle extension as far as it will go. Turn the coil/handle assembly into the coupling sleeve. Tighten the nut to the sleeve to prevent the assembly from loosening with use.
6. Make sure the damper is operational. When open, it is straight up against the stone above the front door; when closed, it will rest on the front edge of the baffle. If the handle interferes with the side door, loosen the nut and coupling sleeve, adjust the position of the handle, and retighten.
Limited to Stock on Hand