HearthStone HI (H1) Wood Stove - Gasket Kit
This model was built between 1978 and 1988 and should look like the in the above pictures.
2 Feet: 3/8” Rope Gasket
12 Feet: ½” Rope Gasket
6 Feet: 3/4 “ Flat Tape Gasket
1. To replace the gaskets you will need to first remove the doors. To remove the doors, open them and tap out the hinge pins. To accomplish this, use the hammer and 3/16” punch and tap the hinge pins up from the bottom of each hinge tab on the doorframes. Lay the detached doors face down on a protected surface (i.e. cardboard on a work bench).
2. Pull out the existing gasket and discard. Thoroughly clean the gasket channel with a wire brush. Wipe the dust out with a damp cloth. Apply a thin bead of gasket cement to the cleaned channel. Do not saturate the gasket with the glue as this will cause the rope to dry and harden. Pull the paper backing off the gasket rope and press it into the prepared channel. The 3/8” rope is placed in the vertical channel on the front door. The ½” gasket is used on both the side and front doors. Cut the gasket with the scissors in lengths to fit each door. When placing the rope into the channels, do not bunch or stretch the material.
3. To replace the glass gasket, first remove the screws that hold the glass retention bars in place using the 5/16” wrench. Apply penetrating oil to the bolts before removing them.Note the placement of each of the bolts – occasionally oversized bolts were used. After the retention bars are removed, carefully lift the glass out and pull off the existing tape.
4. Cut the new flat gasket tape into 2 equal pieces, one for each door. Pull the paper backing off the new gasket (a little at a time works best). The adhesive side is applied to the glass overlapping each side of the glass. Continue around the glass until the entire glass is wrapped with the tape. Cut off any excess. Repeat on the other glass panel.
5. Place the glass panels back into the doors. Lay the retention straps back into place and secure with the screws.
6. Place the doors back onto the stove and tap the hinge pins back into place. Close the doors immediately and allow the gasket glue to dry (do not open for about an hour).