Hearthstone Bennington Replacement Baffle
Designed for stoves with a serial number before 003097
BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Work on a cool stove!!. The fire should be out and the stove cold to the touch. Cut the new baffle board into two pieces with a utility knife. It should be cut in half across the short dimension (front edge to back edge as installed in the stove) and at 45 degree angle (see illustration below). In this way, when it is installed the halves will overlap.
1) Remove the top trivet that is set into the top casting.
2) Lift the top casting up and off the stove. Carefully place it out of the work area.
3) Remove the eight hex head bolts that hold the ribbed heat exchanger to the top of the firebox. Lift out the heat exchanger. Removing the heat exchanger will give you greater access to the top of the firebox.
4) Working through the opening in the firebox top and the front door, remove the original damaged ceramic baffle. You can break it into smaller pieces for ease in removal. Ensure you clean out any pieces that may become wedged into the back of the top of the firebox.
5) The new baffle is cut on a 45º angle into two sections. Install one section into the top of the stove. When this piece is maneuvered into place, install the second section; ensure the 45º angles are overlapped.
6) Place a very thin bead of the stove cement on the seam of the baffle to ensure that smoke does not bypass the baffle. Pack a little cement onto the back of the baffle board to secure it in place.
7) Place the heat exchanger back on top of the firebox and secure it by installing the eight bolts. Tighten these bolts with the wrench or socket.
8) Place the top casting back in place on the stove and set the trivet back into the top casting.