Hearthstone Bennington Wood Stove Front Door Replacement Latch
Coil Spring (5240-135)
Spacer (4700-0790), 4 ea
NOTE FOR STOVES BUILT PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER 2005: If the stove was manufactured prior to September 2005, (any serial number below 3115), you will need to install the new front door latch keeper, part number 5350-062, along with this latch kit assembly.
1) Remove and discard the original front door latch assembly by removing the two setscrews located on the outer portion of the latch (chrome crank)
Note: If the stove has a serial number that is higher than 3115, proceed to step 4.
2) For stoves with a serial number below 3115 (manufactured prior to September 2005), remove and discard the front door catch by removing the two Phillips head screws (retain screws).
3) Install the new catch (#5350-062) using the screws removed in step #2.
4) Place one of the steel spacers on the threaded door latch (add or subtract spacers to fine tune the fit – see step 6). Push the latch through the door; place the large washer and coil spring onto the latch, and thread the chrome crank onto the latch until it is within 1/8” of the face of the door (see illustration on page 2 for part locations).
5) Align the hole in the crank with the groove on the threaded latch; secure the latch by turning in and tightening the setscrew with the Hex wrench.
6) Check door seals using the "dollar bill test." Shut the doors on a dollar bill. If the bill pulls out without any resistance, then your stove’s door isn't sealed properly. Add or remove spacers to adjust gasket pressure.
Note: A worn or compressed gasket will not provide a good seal; change the door gasket if a seal cannot be achieved with the new latch