Hearthstone Green Mountain GMi70 Wood Insert - Replacement Door Latch Kit
This kit provides the parts necessary to replace the front door handle crank and latch on your Gmi70 wood burning fireplace insert. Read the instructions thoroughly before starting the repair. Identify all parts included in the kit
Remove the faulty handle assembly:
1. With the door open, and using the 5/32 hex key, remove the set screw on the underside of the handle crank.
2. Spin the handle off of the latch. Hold the latch in place with pliers if necessary.
3. Remove from the latch.
Install the new handle assembly:
4. If not already assembled, assemble the latch as shown in figure 1. Remove the c-clip from the pin, place the pin through the roller then through the latch, then install the c-clip. Note that the roller must be installed on the correct side of the latch, as shown.
5. Place the 2 brass washers onto the latch shaft.
6. Push the latch through the door.
7. Place the large black washer onto the latch on the outside of the door. It will be flush wot the surface of the door.
8. Place the spring over the latch on the outside.
9. Thread the handle crank onto the latch shaft. Continue to turn until it is flush to the surface of the door. Now turn it back until it is approximately 1/8” from the surface of the door.
10. Turn the crank until you can see the grooved in the end of the latch shaft (a flashlight may be helpful here). Once the two pieces are lined up in this manner, turn in the new set screw. Use the hex key to tighten the set screw into the groove.
11. Place the two lock washers onto the long screw.
12. Using a flat screw driver, thread the screw with washers though the wooden handle and into the end of the handle crank. Remove or add washers as needed to adjust the fit.